Saturday 21 January 2012

Spin Dessert Cafe

Finally! After wanting to try this place for more than a year, I went with my friend last night. They have a few locations, but we went to the one at mid-town (yonge and eglinton). It was worth the trip.
They serve breakfast as well, which are the salty crepes. But of course I went for the desserts instead. They made special names for every dish which I thought was creative and cute, even though it's not that big of a deal lol. 

I ordered the "Sugar Sugar" (the not so creative one on the list). But I ordered it because of what it actually was. I personally really like cookie dough and never saw this type of combination before so I thought I'd give it a try. I ordered it on a crepe. While noticing other peoples orders as I waited for my dish, almost every table's order were waffles, then I realized it probably wasn't the best idea to get my dessert on a crepe.
Here it is, cookie dough ice-cream crepe, with cookie dough bits and brownie pieces with melted fudge chocolate sauce on the side. It was a bit too sweet for me. But I suppose that's expected since cookie dough is pretty sweet in general. The crepe was a bit disappointing, it was kind of crispy yet thick. The texture just wasn't too great, Demetre's crepes are better. The type of crepe they serve would go really well with their salty foods though (ie: chicken salad crepe).

My friend ordered "We belong together", which was apple pie ice-cream waffle topped with apple crumble and white chocolate curls with caramel sauce on the side. 
Their waffles, are really good. The batter tasted really good, and the waffle itself was soft and crunchy. Definitely better than Demetre's waffles. After trying it, I regretted getting the crepe. The ice-cream was really good too, it actually had pieces of apple inside the ice-cream. The whole mix just went really well. My friend picked this because she said there's a reason why it's the first one on the list. She definitely wasn't disappointed.

Since I am one greedy pig, I ordered a cake for take-out. One special thing about this place is they serve cakes from the Cheesecake Factory Bakery. Yes, meaning you won't have to drive to Buffalo to get your hands on the Cheesecake Factory's cakes. They also have their own Spin Bakery cakes as well. If you get the cake and ice-cream then its $9 I believe, and $5.95 for just the cake. As a godiva chocolate lover, I ordered the Godiva cheesecake. 
I'm actually surprised they even added the chocolate sauce for a take-out. Although really heavy, it tasted really good. It has a really rich chocolate taste and there are tiny bits of godiva chocolate inside. It's a bit too chocolate-y and you don't really taste much of the cheese. 

Since Valentine's day is approaching, they have special valentine events. On Feb 11. 2012, there will be a live music and door prizes. 

Food: Really good. I would actually prefer coming here instead of Demetre's.
Service: I have to say, I am not happy with their service. They actually didn't provide us service unless we asked them for it. We had to ask them for water and utensils.
Price: Average, prices are similar to Demetre's
Atmosphere/Decoration: The location I went to was a bit small, and we didn't get the nice-est spot. I do like the decoration. It didn't look too romantic, but still had a nice feel to the place, more like a friend hang-out place. One thing for sure is the place isn't as loud as Demetre's.
Overall: I definitely will be coming back. Finally, a yummy dessert place to go to other than Demetre's. The only down side would be they don't have a location closer to my area. For those dessert lovers, I recommend you to come give this place a try other than the usual Demetre's. One tip, remember to go for the waffle instead of the crepe!

Spin Dessert Cafe
2177 Yonge Street, Toronto

No comments:

Post a Comment