Monday 16 January 2012

Menchie's

Recently everyone has been talking about or going to Menchie's. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a place where you get to customize making your own frozen yogurt with the provided flavors, and adding in toppings. After diy-ing your frozen yogurt, they weigh your cup of yogurt and you pay by weight.
At first, I didn't get the hype since this diy frozen yogurt concept isnt something newly discovered. But after stepping in the store, of all the diy frozen yogurt places, they do have the most variety. A lot more yogurt flavours, a lot more toppings, and sauces too.

I went with my roommates, and of course we all have different taste buds. But as for me....

Let's start with the yogurt flavours. They let you test the yogurt flavour before actually adding it to your cup, I  recommend trying the flavours to prevent disappointment with your mix. I thought coffee and green tea tasted disgusting. Cake batter tasted a bit too sweet for me. I personally like original tart and green apple tart the most, probably because I always preferred yogurt having more of a sour-y taste. Red velvet cake is a really good flavour, I recommend trying that one. You can check their site to see the full list of flavors they have, but keep in mind not every location has all the flavors.

As for toppings, they have the usual fruits, cereal, cookie dough, nuts, brownies, chocolates, etc. Cheesecake bits were tasty. They have mochi, which tastes like chewy dough (similar to tapioca but not fuzzy), a must try. Another thing I suggest adding to your cup is "popping bubbles". It looks like a fish roe, once you bite it, it bursts and the flavour of the bubble comes out. For example, if it's mango flavoured, once it bursts there's a flow of mango sauce. There's strawberry, lychee, and mango flavour. I think mango tastes the best.
The clear ball thing is the popping bubbles. The yellow-ish cube are the cheesecake bits.

As for sauces, they have the usuals. I thought marshmallow sauce was interesting, but I'm not a fan of marshmallows so I didn't try. (I would think it's definitely lighter than actual marshmallows though lol)

Note: FREE Menchie's this coming Saturday Jan 20, 2012, 11am-3pm at Warden and Hwy7!

Food: Really good
Service: they people that work there are very friendly
Price: They charge you 55 cents per ounce, which I thought was a bit expensive considering Yutopia (a frozen yogurt store at Pacific mall with the same concept) only charged 39 cents per ounce.
Atompshere/Decoration: The place looks quite modern and pulls off a 'clean' feeling. They have a lot of Menchie logo-ed products for sale (t-shirts, sweaters, etc.)
Overall: I've been going to this place pretty frequently, definitely a place worth going. Perfect dessert/snack after a meal, and a healthier choice compared to icecream. I would definitely choose this over marble slab; price-wise and flavor-wise. I've been to 2 locations so far, the Waterloo one is kind of small and considering it's close to campus, a lot of students go at night and hard to get a table - not to mention sometimes they run out of toppings when it gets busy. I have also been to the one at Warden and Hwy7, that place is a lot bigger and has a lot more choices. If it's your first time going and you plan to go back, remember to get a smileage card! After you register an account online, you earn twice as many points each time you go within 10 days, and up to a certain amount of points you get a free Menchie's. I think you get free Menchie's on your birthday visit too.

Menchie's
247 King Street North Unit 3, Waterloo

No comments:

Post a Comment