Sunday 8 January 2012

Hog Tails

Thought I should blog about one of my favourite restaurants in waterloo. That's right, even though I always complain about how bad waterloo food is, this place is one of the few restaurants that are decent. This place has really good BBQ food.

They have daily specials, but I always tend to go for the 2 meat platter. Each order comes with 2 sides and a corn bread. They have a long list to choose from. The portions are huge, I normally only eat half of it and pack the other half home.
The choices of meat include: BBQ chicken, BBQ ribs, brisket, chicken wings, pulled pork. I personally think the bbq chicken is one of the best.

This is the 2 meat platter: BBQ chicken and BBQ ribs ($17)
Sides: Cold saw and Cajun Corn.
The ribs were not fall-off-the-bone ribs, but they do taste good. The cold saw was not great though. The bbq chicken was really good, love the sauce.

This is the 2 meat platter: BBQ chicken and pulled pork. ($17)
Sides: Sweet potato fries and Cajun Corn.
The pulled pork was good, the meat texture was not tough at all. My bbq chicken was a bit too burnt though. I normally don't like sweet potatoes, but I love these sweet potato fries. They are crispy and the seasoning makes it even more delicious. I definitely recommend trying that side dish.

This is the 1 meat platter: half chicken ($15)
Sides: Mixed veggies and Cajun Corn
I kinda thought this half chicken was a bit small. My friend ordered it another time and it had twice as more meat =/. I guess all I can say is I was unlucky and got a small chicken. The veggies are really oily, not really the best choice. But, at least they don't serve you the frozen veggies. The cajun corn is pretty good too, (as you can see since I order it every time) not too spicy and has some tomato bits.

One thing to mention, I came here with my parents before and we ordered the family platter since it seemed like it might be a better deal, and more variety. But I found it a bit disappointing as the portions weren't as big. Even if you go with a group, I would still suggest ordering your own meals separately.

Food: Pretty good
Service: Good
Price: Their daily specials are quite a deal (burgers, etc.) But I like to stick with the meat platters since I know it's good. If you choose the meat platters then you are expecting your meal to be a bit less than $20 after tax considering you didn't order a drink.
Atmosphere/Decoration: A small place, not really good for large groups. Each time I go, the place is busy. Yes, even on weekdays. So either go early or go late, or be ready to wait for a table.
Overall: If you ever randomly head down to waterloo, make a stop at this restaurant. Worth a try compared to the other crappy restaurants in waterloo. If you like BBQ food, you will love this place. Careful for itis after your meal though. :P

Hog Tails
645 Laurelwood Drive, Waterloo

No comments:

Post a Comment