Thursday 10 January 2013

Santouka Ramen

Finally caught up, the last one and I've tried them all.

Of all the ramen places, Santouka seems to have more options and choices.
I chose Tokusen Toroniku Ramen with Shio soup base. ($13)
I think of all the ramen places I like the taste of this soup base the most. It was really rich, milky and creamy, which fits my taste buds. The only downside I would say is I felt like it was really oily. The pork cheek meat was really really good. The texture was really soft and tender, which really made thick twice how fatty it probably is. As for the texture of the ramen itself, it was good. However I would prefer Sansotei's noodles, tastes more unique. After eating this set of ramen, my stomach was full for more than half the day. I think their soup was too heavy and oily, I kept feeling very thirsty after my meal too.

My brother ordered the set with both ramen and rice. He ordered Shoyu Ramen. ($15)
The soup base of his ramen was good, tasted less fatty and heavy than mine. The grilled salmon rice bowl didn't pull off a traditional Japanese dish feel, and looked like canned salmon to me. Nothing great and I don't recommend trying it, not worth it.

Food: Very good.
Service: Good.
Price: Expensive
Atmosphere: The place is quite small, not a lot of tables, just like the other ramen places. You probably would expect a line up if you come during peak hours.
Overall: I really did like their ramen, but I did find it a bit too fatty. However, I do recommend this ramen place. One thing I did find a bit ridiculous was you needed to add $2 for an egg. Yes, normally ramens come with an egg already. Of all the ramen places I've been till now, (Hopefully they won't randomly open another one.) in my opinion, this would be the order of the best/my favourites: Santouka > Sansotei > Raijen Ramen > Momofuku > Kinton
If only there was a ramen place that had a mixture of Santouka's soup base with Sansotei's noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment